Dear Tyson Henry,

Tyson Henry, you are finally home.

We didn’t meet on conventional terms, by any means.

The day we met I already had a house full of dogs. More then I could handle in fact, a labrador, a shepherd, a hound, a rescue, a stray!. Our tiny house was bursting at the seams. But you know I could never turn a dog away, especially with all of the strays running around our town.

The last thing that I needed on that drive to work was to encounter a scared, little white and brown pit bull.

I couldn’t believe the scene before me. Your frail body was tied with a frayed rope to a large tree in the park off the road. You were sitting so patiently, clearly waiting for whatever deplorable human had left you in this state to come back for you. I couldn’t believe how loyally you sat there, certain that your person wouldn’t just leave you tied to some tree and walk away. The only thing that gave away how terrified you were, were your clear hazel eyes that darted around nervously.

The saddest part was the note attached to that sad, pink rope around your neck. ‘No longer wanted’, the note declared. No name, no age, no information’. Simply that you had been discarded. You were clearly an older boy, and maybe at some point had been a loved pet, but it was obvious from your appearance that years hadn’t been kind to you and that wherever you came from was not a happy place.

Your white skin around your eyes and snout was completely red, and sun burnt after having been in the Arizona summer sun for who knows how long. Even swollen and pink, I could see what a handsome boy you could be. I could count each and every rib, and every single vertebrae going down your skinny back. I didn’t know much about pit bulls, but I knew they weren’t supposed to be frail, scrawny creatures. You were emaciated and I wondered how long that ‘note’ author had deprived you of a proper meal. Your teeth were discolored and decaying. I was certain your canines would need to be taken out. You quite simply broke my heart at first sight, my boy.

Once you were free, you ran. You ran like you hadn’t tasted freedom in the longest time. I can only assume that once that rope was off your neck, you tried to run home!. where ever that was. I tried to chase you, but you didn’t look back at me. Not even once. I left my number and address with a group of people who were determined to catch you and who weren’t late for work. I assumed I would never hear anything about you ever again, and as I went about my day I hoped that the universe would be kind to the poor pit bull with the gentle, hazel eyes. I worried about you before I even knew you, Ty.

The group ended up being able to track you down and brought you to my husband while I worked. He didn’t have it in his heart to tell me, and did what he thought he had to do since we had no more room at our inn. Before he took you to the humane society that day, he took you to the dog park and watched you struggle to play. He took you to Starbucks and got you a cup of whipped cream and watched you devour it like you had never had a treat before in your life. When he finally left you at the shelter, he watched the girls at the counter fawn over you and promise to help you find a loving home.

When I came home from the preschool that day, my husband told me and I cried for you. I was happy that you were safe, but devastated that he had given you away. He knew that I would never have been strong enough to take you to the shelter myself, and that I would never admit that we couldn’t handle any more dogs.

The days passed, and I worried for you, still. I finally broke down and called the Humane Society to check on you on a Friday. The woman on the phone told me sadly that you had not passed your temperament test and that you were scheduled to be put to sleep the following morning. I didn’t even hesitate when I told her I was coming for you.

I was down there the next day and have never looked back.

I had no way of knowing that the sad, little pit bull would turn into one of the best dogs I have ever know. And Ty, I have known some of the best. Every day I am thankful that someone chose to leave you in my park, and that I looked your way that morning. It was fate that brought us together. I don’t know how many years you spent living a nightmare of a life, but I know that it was all meant to bring you down the road to me. You were always meant to be my boy, my dog.

When I look at you I am overwhelmed by the compassion of dogs and their ability to forgive. You could have lived the rest of your years despising humans for what they had done to you, and the way they treated you!. But you chose not to. You are thankful for everything you get, more so then all of the other rescues in the house. I don’t know for certain how old you are, or how much time I will have with you! but know that I cherish all of it. You are now a fat, happy, spoiled boy who wants for nothing and I can promise you that no one will every hurt you, ever again.

Because of you, we have since opened up our house to foster other pit bulls that have been abandoned and abused. The love we learned from you for a greatly misunderstood and hated breed has cleared our eyes. We now advocate for the breed, and speak highly of our boy, our breed ambassador.

So in part, this letter is to you, Ty.

To thank you for the love you bring into my life.

To thank you for teaching me about forgiveness.

To thank you for showing us that breed discrimination is unjust and unfounded.

But mostly to thank you for letting me be your mom.

The other, small portion of this letter is dedicated to that ‘note’ author. The person who tied you to that tree and left you to die in the heat without a thought.

Thank you for being such a waste of a human being.

Thank you for at least caring enough to keep him alive as long as you did.

And thank you for leaving him in the park by my house.

Your trash is now my dearest, dearest treasure.

My Tyson Henry, you are a blessing and I am so glad that you are finally home with your forever family.

Love,

Mom

Comments

1. Carol says:

Wow…you brought tears to my eyes. You expressed yourself beautifully. Thank you Megan, for being Ty’s savior. Pit Bulls are so misunderstood. I couldn’t live without my Abby.

2. Nicole Peterson says:

Thank you so much for what you have done for that beautiful boy! This has touched me deeply and I hope for the best for the both of you. Thank you for sharing, the rest of the world needs to see this!
    Sending Love,
    Nicole

3. Megan Wolf says:

Thank you! You all have such kind words! I am glad that you were able to take the time to ready Ty’s story… he is an amazing pup. Hoping that more people will take a chance and open up their hearts to pit bulls. He has changed our lives, and the lives of many foster dogs that have come to live with us since his rescue. Thanks again. :)

4. Emily Van Buskirk says:

Truly an amazing person, not just to the animal community, but to the human one as well. Well done my beloved best friend humanitarianism, saving the world with love and peace and kindness, one beleaguered pup at a time. <3

5. crystal says:

I couldn’t get through reading this without having to stop a couple times due to the tears in my eyes. I’m glad there are people like you to be able to help these poor dogs. This town is full of animal neglect and it’s good to know you do as much as you can to help :) Anyone who reads this story will be touched whether they like it or not!

6. Lindsay summers says:

Megan is an amazing your lady, and wonderful to her dogs. As touching as this story was I’m not surprised one bit of her compassion to this poor animal. With this story you truly inspire so many people. <3

7. Steph R. says:

Megs,

Your compassion and kindness are evident in your willingness to help those less fortunate than you. I cannot imagine anyone else who has opened their heart and home as much as you have for any and all doggies who come your way. Your pups are blessed to have found you…

8. Brooke says:

This is a beautifully written letter about an even more beautiful story! Definitely tugs at the heartstrings! Thank you for sharing your story and for taking care of so many wonderful little pups!

9. Brittany says:

This is such a beautiful story… the details of this story and compassion felt towards this amazing dog brought tears to my eye. My mom plays a significant role in the Collie Rescue of Greater Illinois Group, as our family dog is a rescue dog too. I completely relate to the anger and confusion you feel about a human being behaving so irresponsible and so cruel to leave an animal alone to die. It breaks my heart. So much comfort is brought to my mind knowing there are people like you, and my mom, who have compassion for saving lives and loving animals :)

10. Nathaniel Trueblood says:

Megan, that was a great story showing the good of humanity and the unconditional love of our animal companions. We need more people like Logan and you in this world.

11. Rachel says:

“We cannot do great things on this Earth, only small things with great love.” -Mother Teresa. Every animal that is saved is one heart that keeps beating. If Megan could, I know that she would make sure that every dog on this planet dies old, fat and happy with their family. Her moving letter reminds others that we need to have compassion and act on behalf of animals… because they cannot do it themselves. Consider opening your home and heart to an animal in need.

12. Logan Wolf says:

this pup is truly an inspiration!!

13. Terri says:

Thank you for being who you are. I told you once when you were a young teen that you needed to find your passion. Now, you’ve taught me what passion is. Keep up the wonderful work that you and Logan do.

14. Maggie robertshaw says:

Thank you for sharing. The only dogs I have ever owned and loved dearly were on their second or third home with us. They were finally home with their ” forever family.” Spoken so eloquently. Thank you again.

15. Renee says:

A heartfelt letter and beautiful story (in tears). You are a hero to dogs–pit bulls especially–everywhere!

16. Logan Wolf says:

Our boy is so inspiring!!

17. donna says:

Omg that was one of the sweetest notes i have ever read. I love our furry kids and have 3 myself and have also had a houseful of rescues before
    and i am so happy ty has you!

18. Julie says:

Wonderful, heart felt story! Love it. Brought tears to my eyes. I wish more people saw animals as living, caring, BEINGS. They have feelings, and they have spirit. Animals already have short lives to begin with. And in that short time they need to be cared for and loved. It’s a shame to think people are able to dispose of them so easily. Megan you are a wonderful Mom, and I hope someday to be able to save an animal from what could have been a terrible outcome to a life of fulfillment. <3

19. An absorbing communication is couturier scuttlebutt. I cerebrate that you should write much on this subject, it power not be a sacred thing but mostly people are not sufficiency to talk on much topics. To the next. Cheers like your Tyson Henry, you are finally home. | A Letter to My Dog.