Dear Taz “My Shadow”,

TAZ – My Shadow,

TAZ (Australian Cattle Dog), it is with great honor, that I write you this heartfelt letter. You are my hero in so many ways but one in particular. Do you recall shortly after your first birthday right after you graduated from K-9 School and you were trained in obedience and protection? Taz, you are my shadow, my everything, everywhere I go, whatever I do – you are there. I will never know what life will be like without you. There are dogs – then there are HEROES!

Well, you and I both will never forget that dreadful day – when our guard was down an unidentified intruder barged into our home. He grabbed me but immediately you knew I was in harm’s way. I yelled ‘HELP ME TAZ’ and there you were ‘my shadow’; instantly you came in a full speed run, latched on to the intruder’s groin, dropping him to the ground, and held him down the entire time shaking your head, pulling and jerking (as to pay him back). After being freed, I was able to get to the phone to dial ’911′. He got up and ran out of my house hoping to escape the authorities but was later found.

You truly saved my life as a one-year-old puppy a rookie out of K-9 school; you hadn’t even had time to mature into your adulthood by that time. Your instincts knew I was in danger; as I write this letter to you, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being my ‘knight in shining armor’. You are my true protector of my home and God sent.

Dogs live simply and in the moment, they take the greatest of pleasure from the most natural and simple of things, whether it is catching a frisbee, chasing a jolly ball across the yard, playing just because they can, chewing on a bully stick or the cozy warmth of their sweaters snuggled in their warm beds.

Lastly God Bless You, Taz, for showing me to never take one second for granted, forgive others when it may seem impossible, never forget to say our prayers every night, remaining loyal and most importantly…for your unconditional love. I love you TAZ ‘my shadow’, your mom!

Comments

1. Patsy says:

What a beautiful dog and hero you have !

• Bob Watson says:

Great story! What i know that was not mentioned in the story was that Taz had a bum leg at the time of this incidence. He had torn hi cranial cruciate ligament in his left knee and I had surgically repaired it. He was still in a great deal of discomfort, however he pushed his pain aside and came to your aid. He truly is a remarkable dog and friend. i’m honored that he is one of my patients.!

• Kristy says:

You’re so right Dr. Bob…I did forget to mention Taz’s bumped leg…he had two torn “ACL’s” and was just recovering from the surgery you performed. Well, in my eyes, that just makes him even more special. As you said, he “pushed through his pain” to alleviate any harm inflicted upon me. Thank you for pointing that out. And most importantly thank you for being his veterinarian and friend – he truly loves and trusts in you. Thank you for your kind words regarding his heroic efforts.

2. Laura Hooge says:

I was overwhelmed when I read this story…to find a PUPPY saved a young lady’s life. This dog isn’t just a dog; he is a true hero. He saved her life and deserves to be published in a “Letter to My Dog” because you can look far and wide but you will never find a more loyal dog than her dog named, TAZ.

3. Greg says:

Being familiar with law enforcement and knowing the area’s in which officers have to patrol, we can’t appear everywhere when needed instantly. I’m glad and proud to know that they’re dogs like TAZ! That he put his life on the line that day, to save his owner the way he did. This dog is a hero!

4. Vicki says:

What a wonderful story! I am filled with joy hearing of love and loyalty between a cattle dog and his owner.

5. Nancy Hawks says:

What a beautiful tribute to Taz! For a puppy to be so brave in the face of eminent danger truly shows the heart of a hero! You didn’t have the time to react in the situation but Taz did, and what a tremendous accomplishment for such a young dog. Taz (and you) deserve to be published in “A Letter To My Dog” for all to read of his feat!

6. Debbie Ramsey says:

What a wonderful story and tribute to an amazing companion!

7. Pam Allan says:

Taz you are a special boy….

8. Katelin says:

Wow. What an amazing dog! This story made me tear up, but I’m so glad you both made it out of that horrible situation alive and well. I hope to have a dog as protective as Taz one day.

9. Tammy says:

What a wonderful dog you are Taz!! God Bless you and Kristy!!!!

10. Nancy Hawks says:

11. Brenda Carson says:

Beautiful. God put Taz in your life as your guardian angel and protector.

12. Carrie says:

This is such a wonderful story! I would hope that my sweet furbabies would protect me if I came in harms way like beautiful brave Taz did for his Momma. You should be very proud of your baby boy and I know he will forever hold a special place in your heart. He IS a true hero!

13. Jim Zimmerman says:

This letter goes right to the heart of why some of us are so “crazy” about our dogs. A high percentage of dog owners simply keep there dogs in the back yard and feed and water them. Those owners like Kristy know the true connection between humans and their dogs. To see that kind of loyalty and focus in a dog so young is both incredible and commendable. Taz is hero in the true sense of the word. In his mind, I am sure he just saw it as normal behavior. In the real world, most dogs are intimidated by an Alpha male that has taken control of a situation. Taz gave no consideration to himself when he attacked that intruder. He thought only of the one he loves. We could all learn a lot from this story. Regarding both canine, and human, behavior. I think that there are very few humans that could do what Taz did. Much less a one year old pup. Taz is a hero and a role model.

14. Kellie Powell says:

This is an amazing story. **It brings tears to my eyes**. You are so lucky to have Taz. He is an amazing dog and yes a Hero!!!!You deserve to be published and he deserves to be recognized for being so awesome!!

15. Becky Hawkins says:

Such a handsome hero! Wonderful story.

16. Bobby Hooge says:

Wow!!! What an AMAZING STORY! It gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes…. I nominate this story hands down! It’s amazing how a dog can change someone’s life… To me a dog is better than a human.. Why?? Because there not racist, they don’t care what what you look, they dont back stab, they will alway be there when you need them! I have a heart for Animals just like Kristy Crowl does… I really hope Taz can pull out a win.. He more than your shadow he is your angel.. & you have your guardian angel “muffin” looking down being so happy for her mommy and lil brother! God puts things I’m our life for a reason & I know with a doubt Taz was sent by God… LOVE THIS STORY!!!!! AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!!!!!

17. Clint says:

I’m gonna have to relate this to football to a degree…specifically NFL quarterback Drew Brees…he at all times has his eye on all of his wide-outs which is approximately four players. The point I’m trying to make here is Drew’s eyes are always focused down field on his players. In this particular with Kristy and her heroic dog, Taz, his instincts took over and he reacted on impulse to protect his “pack” member just like football team pull together as a “team” Without a doubt, there aren’t many Drew Brees’ out there nor are there many dogs like TAZ out there so without hesitation I would hope his story gets chosen for this publication.

18. Stacey Pigott says:

What a wonderful story! Taz, you really are a hero!

19. Heather says:

I have the, pleasure of knowing Taz & Kristy personally. Taz is an amazingly gentle dog. Everyone at our clinic enjoys spending time with him! Kristy is so lucky to have him as a companion! :) The story of Taz’s courageous efforts should not end here. Pleaseinclude them in your book! They are both hands down worthy of recognition!

20. Callie H. says:

It’s amazing how a young pup knows just what to do to save the day! This is such a wonderful, heart warming story that I know touches every heart that hears it… Thank God for Taz, and for you!

21. Jessica Marbury says:

What a wonderful story! I can only hope for a chance to have such a wonderful dog in my life one day;) Taz truly is a hero!!

22. Penny says:

Great Job Taz!! Such a heart warming story about an animal with great intuition and caring for his owner. Please consider this story to be published, both Taz and Kristy deserve it!!

23. Ruth Hollands says:

Wonderful story of love and loyalty from a rescued puppy to his forever Mama who chose to adopt him into her life.

24. Sonya says:

What an amazing story, amazing dog! You are so luck to have found each other.

25. Kristy Lynn says:

I wanted to take a second to say what I’m most thankful for during this holiday season here at “THANKSGIVING.” I have many things to be thankful for (especially my life spared due to my heroic dog) but one in particular is why I truly wake up every morning with a smile on my face. And that is my undying love for my dogs along with my two cats and four horses. There is no better feeling than to wake up in the mornings with a cold wet nose next to your face and a great big lick on the tip of my nose. I have to say I’m most thankful for my animals because they never turn their back on me, they never get tired of listening to me when I’ve had a bad day and lastly they are always willing to accept me for me. Their hugs and kisses heal my heart. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God’s critters. We do not have to wait for HEAVEN, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs! Go ahead – Wear your heart on your sleeve. What are you most thankful for?

26. Kristy says:

THANK YOU TO ALL THE BLOGGERS WHO HAVE LEFT A HEARTWARMING COMMENT IN REFERENCE TO TAZ’S STORY…HE WANTED ME TO THANK YOU ALL FOR READING HIS STORY BUT WANTED TO SAY…HE’S JUST A NORMAL DOG THAT WOULD REACT THE SAME AGAIN IF THE SITUATION WERE TO ARISE. HE TOLD ME I’M HIS PACK LEADER AND HIS JOB IS TO PROTECT ME EVEN IF HIS LIFE HAD TO BE SPARED. HE IS MY HERO…I DO LOVE MY BOY SO MUCH…AND YOU GUYS DON’T KNOW THIS BUT HE IS SO QUIRKY, FUNNY, LOVES HIS TOYS, LIKES CAT TOYS (THE RED LIGHTS) ….HE’S NOT THE LEAST BIT AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS ANY “NORMAL” INDIVIDUAL. HE LOVES KIDS, BEING IN THE SPOTLIGHT AND MOST IMPORTANTLY…LOVES HIS PICTURE TAKEN. :) GUESS I COULD SUM HIM UP AS A SHOWBOAT…BECAUSE EVERYWHERE WE GO IN THE TRUCK – HE HAS TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING TIME TO READ HIS TRUE HEROIC STORY

27. Jessica says:

I meet Taz once and had not heard this story until I read it just now. I would say that upon meeting Taz you could completely see how much He and Kristy loved each other. And as my 5yr old just put it “Taz was gentle and kind ,he was sweet to us and did not scare my brother(who was one @ the time) at all and did not make him drop his water!” My children all three are slightly scared of dogs and Taz ,as I am sure Kristy taught him, was very easy with the little ones . I think he was the first dog that 2 out of three children had touched in a long time!! Also thank you to Taz for protecting a dear and loving friend ,Kristy. What an amazing companion to have in your life !! This would be a wonderful story for your book.

28. Roy Upchurch says:

I met Kristy through a fundraiser for a local animal charity event. We spoke and I learned that she not only has a love for Taz but for a true love of other animals as well. She stands up for animal’s rights and does everything she can to try to try stop animal cruelty within her neighborhood and the surrounding communities. She also is very passionate about saving homeless, abused, negelected animals while nursing them back to health to find good loving homes for them. She educates the community to “Spay and Neuter Your Pets.” After I had the chance to read her story it doesn’t surprise in the least that she was gifted with a dog like Taz. I’m a true believer in “What goes around comes around” and after I’ve had the chance to get to know her better; I know Kristy has spent her last nickel at times to save a helpless animal….Taz knows he has a giving mother and he just wanted to pay her back for all the other animals that don’t have a chance to speak thier voice to say…”help me.” Please rescue and adopt from your local pound, kill shelters and non-kill shelters…and if time permits, please volunteer. I am amazed by TAZ’s heroic efforts and would love for America to have the chance to see what “true heroes” go through to protect the ones they love. I hope they choose you for the book, TAZ, because you are worthy of recognition. Good luck to both of you!

29. Denee says:

Kuddos to Taz for his heroic efforts…that had to be the scariest situation for Him and his owner…I don’t know how I would have reacted in that situation…I just know I would have been scared…Lord, thank for her Guardian Angel…TAZ.

30. Renee says:

I only have a small dog and after reading this story of an amazing heroic dog who came to the rescue of his owner, Kristy, I’m amazed by his instincts and talent…even after reading the blog from her VET, stating TAZ was just recovering from two ACL knee surgeries…yet it didn’t stop his determination to come to the rescue….now in my eyes…that’s what you call a true hero…Good Dog!

31. Hank says:

Taz, my question to you is? How do you top that? What you did for your owner? Saving her life, protecting her from possibly the worst of the worst scenario. You don’t, my buddy. When you live like a HERO – it’s in your heart…it’s not taught, nor is it in a breed, it’s not even the command she gave you…because you could have gotten scared and ran to hide; BUT you didn’t….you buddy are what exemplies a true ACD (Australian Cattle Dog) a one owner type dog…who bonds like no other breed out there….Congratulations on your success…continue to protect your mom and your home – you are “THE MAN”. HOPE YOUR STORY GETS PUBLISHED – YOU DESERVE IT.

32. Clint Sands says:

A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, big or small, young or old. He doesn’t care if you’re not smart, not popular, not a good joke-teller, not the best athlete, nor the best-looking person. To your dog, you are the greatest, the smartest, the nicest human being who was ever born. You are his friend and PROTECTOR. Well, TAZ, you did just what God called you to do…be a pack member but protect your pack at all costs and you did when you risked your life…who knows if that intruder had a weapon…we will never know thankfully to your swift actions, instincts, and training. You are a hero and I hope you get picked for the book. This really turned out to be a Happy Ending Story…started out bad but ended very happily. Good luck Taz!

33. Amber says:

Hey TAZ, I’m not sure if you remember me but I had the pleasure of meeting you at CARA’s Dog Days of Summer back in August of this year…it was the fundraiser for FRANCIS. When I saw you, you were acutally getting you picture taken with the MIRACLE DOG, FRANCIS, of Jackson, MS. Your mom, cried and cried that day stating she was so heartbroken when she saw the footage on the news about the abdandoned puppy, FRANCIS who was thrown in a dumpster in less than 15 degree wet cold weather…at the time he was in a coma and no one thought he would make it….well he did, thanks to CARA volunteers working round the clock to save him. And you told me, you couldn’t sleep until you had the opportunity to wrap your arms around this dogs neck and say a prayer in his ear…Well, I saw you, Taz and Francis all together in the picture and I feel certain you were able to tell FRANCIS what was on your heart…what an amazing person. I am now having the pleasure of writing you after we swapped emails and saw you your FB page that TAZ was a HERO? As a I read to story, I cried, then I realized he had the same fight in him as though Francis did to fight to stay alive during his worst hours he wasn’t going to give up and neither was TAZ…your dog has tremendous instincts unlike any other breed I’ve seen…I was around him that day and watched him on lead with you; he not once took his eyes off of you that’s not a trained habit but an innate one. I’m just so thankful that neither of you were injured and the intruder was apprenhended. Who needs a security system when you have – TAZ. Hope his story gets published, sweetie.

34. Chelsea Hurdle says:

I once read a story that was titled “Why dogs live longer than people” this story reminds me of what I read. Taz, you are a remarkable dog/hero and here is why: People are born so they can LEARN to live a good life like being nice and doing the right thing, right? Well that’s not the case with dogs, like you TAZ…dogs have short lives for one simple reason when they are born they already know how to give UNCONDITIONAL LOVE its not a trait that have to learn….it’s in their instincts. I’m not sure how old you are,TAZ, but I hope you have many more years to spend with your mom and protect her because I know without a doubt she knows how to love unconditionally. She was blessed with you. Hopefully you will be on this earth way past the years expected for an ACD.

35. Lauren says:

Now that’s a true heroic dog and great story, he should be recognized for his efforts. So thankful, no one was injured. Way to go TAZ!

36. Lonisha says:

Well first let me wipe the tears from my eyes. WOW, what an incredible dog. Taz you need to be featured in a movie like Rin Tin Tin or something like that or better yet have your own Reality TV Show. No, I’ve got it – You need to be on Jay Leno, featuring Hero dogs. I’m so proud of you, congratulations to your mom for picking you out of a litter of puppies – I bet she didn’t know she was choosing a hero that day. Good luck to both of you and I really hope whoever is in charge of this project doesn’t overlook your heroic story because it’s defintely newsworthy. GOD SPEED

37. Savanah says:

A friend forwarded me this story through FB and I honestly cried the entire time I read it; to know that a dog would risk his own life to save his owner. OMG – When there are people that I know that wouldn’t even change the flat tire on my car. Let’s just stop for a moment, imagine the fear that the two of them felt when that intruder bursted into their door: how do you react?, what do you do?, YELL – but is there anyone there to hear you? In Kristy’s case, NO, not a human, but she had her faithful, loving dog, with instincts that carried so much love in his heart for her and through his little training fought off the intruder until he left her home – thinking he would escape; although he didn’t – WHAT A FANTASTIC ENDING TO WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN VERY TRAGIC ONE. I hope the two of you guys live a long a happy life togther. Good luck.

38. Emily says:

What a wonderful story and companion!

39. Renee Fletcher says:

“Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.” ~ Mark Twain
    Taz, after reading this story and the wonderful deed would did by saving your mom’s life is unbelievable especially at such a young age. It just goes to show you that dogs will risk their lives to save the ones the truly love but its rare that you find a dog like this. Do you guys remember the movie, “All Dogs Go To Heaven?” Well based on the quote I stated at the beginning by merit, Taz, there isn’t a doubt where you will spend eternity. Congratulations for both of you guys making it out of that horrific situation alive and well.

40. Kris says:

From what I’ve read about Australian Cattle Dogs (AKA – blue heelers) are the utmost loyal dog you will find anywhere. They are a one person dog and tend to bond with only one person. Taz it’s apparent you and Kristy have a very strong bond and hopefully that will last a very long time. We are all proud of you and your accomplishments here at our home and wish you the best of luck Taz in getting your story publicated. “A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”

41. Candice says:

Oh my gracious, a friend just sent me this link a few moments ago through facebook and I’m so amazed I’m tearing up at the same time. What an incredible story but yet a tragic one at that. How horrible it must have felt for a puppy to be so confused to watch his mom in so much distress but push away all his fears and use his instincts and training to go forth and save the day! Great story with a perfect ending! Taz, you’re my hero buddy :)

42. Larry says:

I am so grateful Taz and Kristy found each other. When I first learned she got another dog a while back – I was like great – more vet bills, more expenses, etc. But boy, am I glad I ate those words. What an amazing story but so dreadful for a father to have to hear of his child. I’ve watched Kristy and Taz together and they are undeniable inseparable. She even brings him to my place of business at times with customers from all over the country (they meet and greet the HERO dog), she even brings him to the big Christmas Dinner with the entire family, he’s just a blessing for her and such a comfort even more now having experienced that horrible day; since I was no where within the vicinity…I’m so thankful to you, Taz, for saving my daughter’s life. I hope you live to be longer than Muffin and we all know she lived a healthy life up until she was 15 years old…I hope you live longer than that because I dont’ know how anyone will able to deal with Kristy the day she ever loses YOU. Keep protecting my daughter – GOOD DOG, with love Kristy’s DAD

43. linda says:

very funny i love your dogs story i always hope that my dog would protect me